Re: Re: Homebrew air hats

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 03:50:39 EDT

Kyle, I don't think that'll work in this case. He has a '90 Dak, meaning he
has A TBI motor. On a Dodge TBI(or chevy for that matter), the injectors sit
directly above the throttle butterflys. I don't think a Gen-III airhat would
give him the clearance needed. What he could do, though, is to take the
botom section of his stock breather housing, cut the ring out of it that
sits on the TB, and build himself a custom "airhat" out of sheetmetal. If he
used a thicker gauge sheetmetal, formed it using the correct methods, and
used fiberstrand to seam it up, I don't see any problems.Heck, he could even
have it powdercoated or painted to match the truck or just some cool
metalflake or something! Just a thought! HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Kyle Kozubal" <grndak4x4@home.com>

> I've been thinking about setting up a cold air intake on my 1990 dak for
> couple months. But I haven't been able to figure out how to homebrew a
> 'hat' for the throttle body. Last night I was looking at some tupperwear
> containers and coffee cans and scratching my head. This would be easy if
> could find PVC pipe in 5.25 diameter. Has any one come up with a simple
> solution for this?

Easy,
Just find someone on the list who owns a GenIII Dakota and is no longer
using their stock air hat or buy one from the dealer. It fits extremely snug
on the throttle body. Be sure to use a throttle body to air cleaner
'gasket'(1/8" thick rubber gasket), which is also available through the
dealer for about $5. I even bought a fancy round billet air cleaner nut from
Summit, rather than using the stock/ugly wing nut.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6