Re: Re: Slight "Knocking" from 4.7 Bottom End

From: Gary Joyce (gjoyce_@excite.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 08:11:02 EDT

Yeah, Tanner, they short-blocked it. Originally it was to be a rebuild.
but when the mechanic took off the oil pan, he said he saw some pretty
impressive shavings. So, he ordered a new short block. I'm not sure what
all a new short block consists of exactly. New pistons, rings, block of
course, oil pump, crank and what not. I kept my original heads etc. Why
didn't they replace complete engine? I don't know. I don't see any reason,
really. My heads only had 14000 miles on them. Just broke in :). I
purchased the extended warranty w/my truck, for fear of dodge transmissions,
so I'm not sure as to how the original manufacturers warranty will be
affected. I imagine the work done by the dealership is warranted for so
long, and the new short block is covered the same time as the rest of the
truck. Runs like a top now, though.
You had yours looked at??
gary