RE: console details

From: yllwdkta (yllwdkta@insight.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 00:28:13 EDT

great thanks!

Tim Althoff
http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/yllw/dkta.html
<http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/yllw/dkta.html>
99 Solar Yellow RC V-6 Manual
<http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/yllw/dkta.html>

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET]On Behalf Of Chuck Robbins
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 5:54 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: console details

    Well, I was going to wait until the pages were done, but ... ;-)

    The console is built out of 3/4" plywood. I used cardboard as a template
and then transcribed it to the wood when it was close enough. Then with a
combination of belt sander and patience, I achieved the fit to the dash I
wanted.

    The console is actually two pieces. The long one with the switches and
console storage (under the lid in front of the subwoofer box) and the
subwoofer box. The tail end of the console and the subwoofer box are keyed
so the console gets put in place first and then the sub box is tipped
diagonally so it presses against the console and back wall. It forms a very
nice pressure fit and there is no movement what-so-ever.

    The cup holders are the drop in style as found on boats. I had to cut an
oblong hole in the rounded portion of the console (one piece of plywood
which was belt-sanded round) and hot glued the cup holders in place. I then
built them out using fiberglass.

    The top of the console is combination wood, fiberglass and bondo. After
everything was smooth, I painted it, wet sanded it and buffed it to a mirror
finish.

    The switches are black for electric windows which aren't installed yet
(never mind bought yet) and the chrome ones are for interior and exterior
lighting which isn't completed yet either.

    The top left blue light is lit when the electric fan is running and the
top right doesn't have a use yet (I added it for symmetry) the blue light
beside the chrome switches is for the underbody neon (letting me know when
it's on). I want to change the crappy bulbs there now for some blue LED's. I
should be doing that shortly.

    I have an Autometer Phantom air/fuel gauge in the console which has yet
to be hooked up.

    All the electrical is run/will be run from one power source and is
connected to a mini fuse box. I am also using barrier strips so all I have
to do to remove the console is to loosen a few screws.

    I was hoping to be completely done with this stage by now, but one of my
friends got injured on the job (fire department). He has a side job of
painting and couldn't do the work. So all my free time over the past couple
months has been helping him meet his obligations. At least I'll have money
to complete the interior this year ;-)

    I'll have more specific details on the web pages. I should have them up
in a couple days.

Thanks,

--
Chuck Robbins