Re: Trouble code 2001 4.7 auto

From: Michael D (heavymetalonice@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 16:56:36 EDT

>From: jon@dakota-truck.net (Jon Steiger)

> This could be a stuck open thermostat or a wiring problem with the
>engine coolant temp sensor. (Is your temperature gauge in the normal
>range?) If your temp gauge is reading OK, its probably all right to wait,
>but if your truck is actually running really cold due to a stuck open
>thermostat or something along those lines, that's something you probably
>should have checked out before driving a whole lot.

I put the scanner back on, kind of interresting.

Truck was in the garage all night, 68F in there, coolant and
intake air temp about the same. Outside was up to 88F. Started and
pulled out, intake air rising faster as sun got on hood. Did some
back roads driving, babying the thing. Coolant temp rise seemed normal
to me, the lower "normal" mark on the guage was about 175F.

For a few miles of easy driving, coolant hung around 179F. Got into traffic
and ran air conditioning. Temp rose to 195. Circled to the same road, temp
dropped to 185F and hung around there. Don't know what thermostat they put
in at the factory, but this one seems to cycle between 179 and 190.

As to how I set off the code, before it got warmer, I made a series of
very short trips to the local stores when outside temps were 30-45F.
I guess it never warmed up fully.

That may also be why you always see Fords and Chevy's at convience stores.
You only take short trips up the street, you buy one of those.