Front Diff. Question and Comments

From: Ray Sulich (ray.sulich@snet.net)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 10:03:14 EDT

'91 Dakota 5.2 EFI 4WD Extended Cab

A couple of weeks ago I posted my rear main bearing replacement
story. Basically that I replaced it, and it still leaked. Well the leak
has all but gone away in the last two weeks (yes, there is still oil in the
truck). So, as a heads up.... if you replace your seal, it is possible for
it to leak for a little while after replacement until I guess it seats
properly. If the leak picks up again I'll have it replaced at a local shop
that will do the work for $300.

I also had a problem where the 4WD light in the cab stopped lighting. I
put the truck on jack stands and shifted it to 4WD, it was shifting but
still no light. I disconnected the vacuum lines connected to the front
diff. I had vacuum on one line in 4WD and the other in 2WD as I should
have. I disconnected the wires going to the switch that lights the 4WD
light and shorted the two pins together. The light came on. I pulled the
switch and tested it with a volt/ohm meter while pushing the switch and
found it was bad. I beat on it with a hammer for awhile and now it works
most of the time.

I still have a leak on the right side axle shaft seal just on the outside
of the engage disengage module. Has anyone out there replaced this
seal. The Haynes manual says you can replace it with the diff. still in
the truck. Looking at the length of the right side axle shaft, I don't see
how you can slide it out. Seems that it will hit the wheel assembly. The
other problem is that all the seals are dealer parts so I'll have to dish
out the Dodge price.

Any help would be appreciated.