Re: Off road gear

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 23:41:55 EDT

> I need to purchase some off road gear like a winch, tree saver straps, tow
> hooks, etc.. what are some of the better online sites as far as
> prices/selection/reputable companies goes?
> Thanks.

Depends what kind of tow hook you are looking for first off. If you just
want to generic 'jeep' style 10,000 pound hooks, most Wal Marts, Pep Boys,
auto part stores sell a set for like $15. They really dont work all that
great, but these hooks are better than having none at all. I am currently
using tow hook on the front of my truck from a 1994 Chevy 2500 4x4 pickup.
These are longer and have a good size loop at the end, so tow straps and
chain dont fall off. I bought a pair off of eBay for $10. I also have
another pair from an 1985 4WD Blazer which would work well also. Both of
these hooks are longer and once mounted, have easier access when needed,
compared to the small hooks. Summit Racing carries ProComp tow straps, which
are darn good. My first couple of cheaper straps worked and all, but spend
the extra cash and get a really good tow strap. I really recommend a strap
which is 3" wide. The 2" wide straps work, but I would just rather have the
added safety/working load of the 3" strap. Buy yourrself 2-3 clevis
hooks/shackles also. Check out these sites:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/
www.summitracing.com
http://www.4x4cyberstore.com/
Go to your local newstand and buy either Peterson's 4Wheel & Off Road or
FourWheeler magazine(or buy both!) and they have tons of good 4WD shops
which will carry everything and anything you need. Hope this helps. Dont
forget a rear recovery point.....like a Class III or better hitch.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6