Correct K&N cone for a V6 -- Daksy instructions LONG

From: Kevin Hoegen \(MAGNUM S/T\) (hoegen@kersur.net)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 11:36:13 EDT

Daksy,
I had a typo on my site which I am fixing as we speak. here is the
information on the K&N filter I am currently using.

Stock # RE-0950
dimensions:
6" cone filter element
6" at base
3.5" I.D. boot (fits over PVC nice & snug)
4 5/8" diameter at top end of filter.

I took measurements of the filter today along with getting the ID # of the
filter boot. I then contacted K&N to verify stock # and domensions...sorry
for the mixup!

Here's what else I used:
1 - ~10" piece of 3" (I.D) black PVC

1 - 45 coordinating 45 degree Black PVC (3" on one end, 3.5" on the other.
Only one side of this piece needs to fit OVER the 3.5" (O.D.) PVC straight
piece, so the other side is identical in diameter to the straight PVC. One
side has a lip, the other don't :-)

2 - dual PVC clamps with rubber inserts (the type with 2 tighteners). One is
used for the connection, the other I simply took the rubber insert and
adapted to the uneven connection at the airintake so the clamp would not
CRIMP when tightened.

1- 4" hose clamp (to secure filter to PVC toob). This clamp may have come
with the filter, I couldn't remember.

1 - PVC adhesive (smallest can ya can get, don't need much)

NOTE: I also used high temp black paint to paint the airhat and the PVC
tubing (in hindsight I could have just as easily used YELLOW :-)

NOTE: The airhat I.D. at the connectiong point is 3", but the O.D. does not
match the PVC. There are also small plastic tabs which I ground down on the
airhat so I would get a better fit (this is all hidden by the clamp when
assembled). I also used the an extra piece of the rubber insert on the
airhat side only, this made the connection more level and thus I did not get
the crimping of the clamp when I tightened it. ( don't give me too much
credit, I simply saw other's setups and noticed that many people ran into
that crimping).

I also used a 1/8" thick pice of aluminum to form a "Z" bracket which
supports the filter assembly's wieght and is mounted on the wheelwell and
held onto the assembly bu the 4" hose cnnector (all underneath and outa
site).

...YES I'm finally getting my lazy butt to update my MODS page so other
won't run into the problem you did :-)
http://www.lightband.com/~hoegen/mods.html

I hope this helps. Contact me with any questions I may not have thought of.

Later,

--
Kevin
99 Solar Yellow Magnum S/T