RE: Re: RE: My first Dak + couple questions

From: Shawn Bowen (Shawn@bowen.com)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 01:55:41 EDT

The Stock motor comes with a 195 or so radiator T-Stat and the stock plugs
are meant to run at a specific engine temp. By putting on a cooler T-Stat
(like a 180 degree $5-$10 part) would make your engine run cooler, better
performance. You will immediately notice that instead of your temp being
near the middle of the gauge that it will be about 25% lower. The stock
plugs for my truck (a 5.2L 318) are Autolite 5224's, most on this board run
Autolite 3923's in this engine from what I've read. That is NOT a stock
part number though and if you have a 4.7L I dunno what the proper upgraded
plugs should be off the top of my head. Basically the non-standard plugs
are more optimized for the cooler running engine. Since these are not the
stock plug sized either they do not go quite as deep into the cylinder.
When you look at Autolite plugs at your parts store the first number is the
style plug 39 in my case and the second number is the temp range, 24 for
stock, 23 for one temp range cooler than stock. I was told today that for
my upcoming SuperCharger install I should consider 3922's, yet another range
cooler.

        By your engine running cooler it will perform better, last longer, and give
over all better performance. The cooler spark plug ranges help those of us
with pinging problems quite a bit. I installed the 3923's tonight gapped at
0.050 and have no pinging at ALL. I will also say it sure seems to have a
little more pep (no scientific data but I ran the sucker good and hard and
it felt considerably stronger all the way from idle to top end).

        If you have a 4.7L you need to find out the plugs folks are using for it as
I'm not sure. These seem to work great in mine and I am glad I followed
everyones advice on getting them.

        If anyone has any additions or corrections by all means post them, I learn
something new everyday!

Shawn Bowen
98 5.2L 318 4x4 CC