Re: Powerdyne/ANY PCM

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 19:15:37 EDT

No biggie Shane.

As with any off-the-shelf supercharger kit, the fuel enrichment is set for a
generic range. Most of them work just fine out of the box but overall would
require some fine-tuning. (Injectors, FMU plate, fuel pressure regulator, etc.)

In Shawn's specific case, the out of the box flavor will work just fine though.

(Hell, eve I had to "adjust" my S/C and timing curve for what I wanted. Got a
whole lot more pep out of it as well.) :)

Most of my experiences came from the shop I used to work in with Wayne (Project
ATI Supercharged R/T). He was the shp owner and Mustang/Mopar guru when it
came to the engines. When it came to the Superchargers, he took me on to help
fine-tune the engines to the specific applications (also "Blueprinting" the
sensors - getting them exactly perfect...a lost art so to say). That was back
in 1989-1993. Been "dabbling" with them ever since and have installed many
Paxtons, two Vortech, four Powerdyne, and one ATI. All of them have their up
and down sides...just depends on what you want, what the application is, and
how much you want out of it (aka: how much you are willing to spend).

I'm no "guru" or expert on them as we all continue to learn new things...hell,
you corrected my "error" with the O2's and Open/Closed loop transition. :)

- Bernd

> Since I have never owned a supercharger - you are probably right on all
accounts.
> I guess I'm trying to learn. I also am rarely pleased by an out-of-the-box
install
> especially when it is destined for such a wildly varying target. I think we
all
> agree that the best that could be had would be a measurement of our current
> situation (A/F ratios at all rpm steps) and then to have the ability to
quickly,
> and cheaply get it under the desired conditions "with the turn of a knob" -
kinda
> like you IAT adjuster ;-).
>
> Question is: Where are we now? Even after my mods - I'm rich under almost
all
> conditions.
>
> Latr,
>
> Shane
>
> bernd@texas.net wrote:
>
> > Misleading?? Shane, nothing against you here...but i've installed Paxton,
> > Vortech, ATI, and Powerdyne's on many vehicles over the years and have never
> > seen any problems on the daily street driven vehicles at all. As long as
the
> > auxilliary fuel system was installed properly, the fuel enrichment works
just
> > fine. On the Powerdyne, in this specific case, the FMU plate can be
adjusted
> > from a 4:1 - 16:1 depending on the modifications. From what Shawn
described,
> > it's nothing that the PD FMU system can't handle.
> >
> > On the "Big Boys" who use seperate controllers, yes...there is a big
difference
> > and tuning is required...depending on the type of system they're using.
Larger
> > injectors, timing curve changes according to rpm and boost, fuel pressure
> > changes, etc. But again, the systems available to the regular "walk-in"
> > customer are more than adequate for what most are doing. (Those with the
12-
> > second and quicker vehicles will obviously require some extra tuning.)
> >
> > I'll use my truck as an example (V8's should stick to the 12:1 FMU plate
right
> > from the start and prefer 24# injectors):
> >
> > (1) Powerdyne w/6# Pulley, factory injectors (or FMS 19# High-Flow), 48mm V8
> > TB, Headers, Exhaust, Ignition, and mild intake "cleanup": 10:1 FMU w/no
retard
> > required.
> > (2) Powerdyne w/9# Pulley, FMS 24# injectors, 50mm Billet TB, Headers,
Exhaust,
> > Ignition, and mild intake "cleanup": 12:1 FMU, ICON custom curved to retard
> > in .5 degree increments (up to 3 degrees total) from 2200-5500rpm.
> > (3) Powerdyne w/10# Pulley, FMS 24# injectors, 50mm Billet TB, Headers,
> > Exhaust, Ignition, and mild intake "cleanup": 12:1 FMU, ICON custom curved
> > retard in .5 degree increments (up to 3.5 degrees total) from 2200-5500rpm.
> >
> > - Bernd

> > external
> > all
> > >
> > > Thats a little bit misleading tho because whenever you increase the boost
by
> > > changing pulleys, open up the breathing by porting heads, going w/the new
RT