Re: 5.9 availability

From: John Bell (dak@mama.indstate.edu)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 20:29:57 EDT

"Stlaurent Mr Steven" <STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil> wrote in message
news:5F7587961057D211ABE9004095102F780253C902@ex.mctssa.usmc.mil...
> First, the Chryco Dyno chart is a joke and the picture is not accurate at
> all. Second, it was not clear what dyno manufacture they had used to
> publish this picture. Third, I have dyno numbers, as Matt and few others
> also can testify. Fourth, test drive both trucks and feel the results.
> Another thing, I don't go by SAE numbers anymore but what is real at the
> wheels. Bragging is one thing real numbers are another.

Uh, I said that I test drove them. Twice. SLT+ with the fixins, all other
things equal except for 4.7/auto vs. 5.9/auto. The 4.7 is a sweet motor, but
there isn't enough weight difference to make up for it, as my foot and butt
confirmed. Dyno is another thing... wouldn't mind having mine on the dyno,
I'm getting 14 mpg in mixed driving with a 3.92 geared full time 4x4 QC.
Last I checked, the 4.7 folks with the same setup were getting the same or a
little less. The power/efficiency is coming from somewhere... like I said,
my only mod is Mobil 1 10w30 (whoah, stand back *lol* :-) ).

Bragging may be one thing, and dynos may be another, but I'm still beating a
4.7/auto Grand Cherokee that weighs _less_ than me like a red-headed
stepchild. Real world experience counts for something, too (as the
4.7/5-speed vs. R/T crowd can attest to). There's something to the fact that
some of us get "good" trucks, while some of us get "bad" trucks. I can't
help it if my engine runs like it's on commission, it just *does*.

> That 40lbs is matter of conjecture on who part? Then my truck with a
> multi-speed was only loosing less than 11 percent lost on TQ factor
compared
> what was advertised by Dodge. Hmm!

Like I said...

> John, the 5.9 is a great motor and the TQ is quick and to the point. But
the
> duration of the 5.9 TQ is limited in the 3000 RPM range. Yet, no matter
how
> you look at it, whether a 5.9 or 4.7, you still have a great truck...

Agreed, as do we all. All hail Dodge!

--
John Bell - '00 QC 5.9 46RE 4x4 NV242 3.92LSD SLT+ *my baby*