Plug Gap/Emissions

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 01:00:20 EDT

My truck recently failed its emissions, as many already know. The truck
passed every part of the test except the hydrocarbon portion. Standards are
1.60 and the Dak ran a 1.76. I poured a bottle of CRC Emission Pass, which
claims to lower hydrocarbon emissions, when I filled up on Saturday. I
should have this 'cleaner tank'-ful of gas down Wednesday. I also shot a
good amount of 3M Throttle Body & Intake Cleaner down the TB Sunday. I also
changed the oil/filter oon Sunday as well as slapping on a new PCV Valve.
Today I figured I was just going to pull a few plugs and see how they
looked, since I thought the TB Cleaner and the CRC Additive might gunk up
the plugs a bit. The plugs were kind of dirty, and the gap was a tad large.
I used to run the Autolite plugs(when I was using my MSD 6-Offroad Ignition)
anywhere from .044 upto .050, just depended on my mood at the time of
installation :)

I pulled just 3 plugs tonight and they were a tad over .045.......kind of
big I think for just having an Accel Super Coil. Could this have affect or
aided in failing the emission test? I have fresh Autolite Coppers ready to
go in when I fillup next, probably Thursday morning.

Stock gap for my truck is .035..........is this what I should gap the new
plugs to in order to help with passing the emissions test?? I also bought a
new NAPA Dist. Cap and Rotor today which I will install when I put the new
Autolite's in.I am hoping to make the Friday morning emission test......and
I really need to pass this time. I was just so bummed cause my truck is
really running great.

Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6