Front end clunk (long)

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@NYCAP.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 18:45:28 EDT

Hey, DML!
Driving the DAKSY home from work tonite, I make a right turn onto the I-87
South entrance ramp, which is in bad shape pavement-wise & has been shoddily
patched by our "crack" DOT crews here in upstate NY...Anyways I hit the
patches & hear a "clunk" from the front end which was audible even with the
radio on....I'm thinkin WTF? somebody been playin with the lug-nuts or what?
Ball-joints? Control arm? So I take it easy on the way home & take the
smoother of the three possible routes...I can still hear something that just
don't sound right (or good) when I turn right...I pull into a supermarket
parking lot & I can feel every little bump, & hear it too! DAMN! What is it?
I try rocking the left front tire/wheel & she's solid...k...I shop for the
weekend & head to the house (about 4 miles)...I can feel every little ripple
in the pavement & almost every pebble! I pull up to the garage & look in
over the tire to see if anything is loose...can't tell...So I push as hard
as I can on the left front fender & there's the clunk! OKAY...drag out the
floor jack, compressor, & impact & jack er up & zip out the lugnuts...The
DAMN ProComp ES9000 shock is loose at the bottom! The lower bolt is backed
completely out of the threaded boss & the shock is turned 90 degrees! I
torqued the damn things to the FSM spec (80 lbs/ft) when I installed them in
April. Why the HELL would only one loosen up? The ProComps didn't come with
any paperwork/instructions, so I referred back to the FSM for the torque
spec. Ya thjink that 80lbs/ft may be too low? Should I go higher? I don't
wanna stretch the threads, but I don't wanna lose the shock again. Maybe one
of the Loctite Compounds after torquing? Help me DML!

TIA!

Bob Smith (Daksy2K on AIM)
2K DAKSY CC Sport +
3.9l; V6: 4X4

For the mods,details, etc., visit us at:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/

(ps, we're still working on it...
Susan on the page; me on the DAKSY! )