Re: Ping Ping Ping in a 1999 5.2l

From: Batman (batphreak@zombieweb.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 22:13:53 EDT

Emissions is definitely what it's all about. in 97 MaMOPAR knew they had to meet tighter emissions and they were also working with an engine design nigh on 40 years old. Only way to get it to meet those standards was back off on the compression, lean out the mixture as far as possible, and advance the timing as far as possible. That's exactly what they did. It all adds up to nice little pinging problems and a huge descrease in power. From what I can gather the PCM flash corrects the pinging problem because it leans the mixture out a hair more and retards the timing a touch, that way it stills meets the emissions standards and you don't have as much spark knock, problem is you still got a little less fuel in there so you lose any nutz it started with. So, yeah you're pretty much right Steve, as far as I can gather '99 is just about the worst for these problems though.

-Batman

--- steve preston <steve239dak@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>I think what it is on these 97+ Daks,is that they are
>trying to get the engine to produce such little
>emissions on crappy gas,that performance does not
>compare to earlier versions.Seems like,anyway.That is
>the only thing that makes sense to me,since pre 97s
>don`t seem to have any performance problems.

==
-Batman
'99 CC 4x4 5.2L 5spd sprt wht
10" X 2.75" K&N Open Element