Re: Re: brake warpage suggestion to all...

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 15:30:37 EDT

I don't disagree that too much torque on the wheels will cause warping, but
you're right. There are far, far, *far* too many instances of this
happening on Daks and Durangos for that to be the only cause. The Durango
plant (can't say for the Dak plant, they're different facilities) has a
$150,000 computer-controlled machine to bolt on the wheels - a considerable
number of people have broken their Durango lugs trying to do their first
tire rotation themselves, due to the lug nuts being so tight.

They're coming torqued too tight from the factory. Plus, they're probably
using "lowest bidder" parts, and yes, the brakes are probably undersized for
the amount of vehicle they're stopping. Torque isn't the only factor in
this puzzle but it certianly isn't helping.