Re: Stock Battery Q

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 15:32:31 EDT

"Does anyone know what the nominal CCA of the stock
battery are. I think I have the battery that comes in
the heavy duty kit..."

Standard battery on a 2000 is 600 cold cranking amps;
heavy-duty option is 750. You can determine which you
have by looking for those numbers on the top of the
battery. The window sticker will also tell you, if you
have it.

Curious what you are looking for in a battery. I've
been researching replacements for when mine goes
south. Haven't found anything that looks better than
the original equipment. Optima batteries have a great
reputation. But they don't make one in this size
(group 27) and what they do offer doesn't have as good
a reserve capacity.

Interestingly, the heavy-duty electrical option on the
Dakota (750-amp battery, 136-amp alternator) is the
same as on every truck Dodge offers. So if you have
it, you have the same set-up as a Ram 3500 with a V-10
or a diesel.

-J.