Re: Re: custom intake

From: Travis Higgins (travis@primenet.com)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 14:06:08 EDT

Hey Aaron,

What you could wrap the wood in is a release film. Check out the various
options here:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/vacbag2.php
These are actually for vacuum bag operations and the release films go
directly on top of the composite layup. The composite then won't bond to
the bag or the breather material in a vacuum bag operation. When I did the
carbon fiber heat shield I used the non-porous Teflon coated release fabric.
This gave an acceptable finish on the one side. In your application this
will actually be the inside, so probably even the one listed as "Release
Film" would work for you.

As far as the airhats go, the problem is you need a female mold, not a male
mold as you described. That's because its the outside of the airhat that
you want to have a mirror finish on. With fiberglass you could get away
with a male mold because you could sand it down and bondo or whatever to get
a smooth finish. You can't do that with carbon fiber.

Travis aka Blue Travis
00 IB CC R/T

<<I figured the mold realease would be fine, but you bring up a good point,
maybe If I covered the mold in plastic wrap (for food) and then either just
left it on, or sanded it off.>>