Re: Re: Re: Cali vs. Fed

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 16:25:56 EDT

At 12:16 AM 5/28/01 +0900, you wrote:
>My Dakota is a Ca. spec. Do you think I would be able to use
>the Federal performance PCM, or do I have to stick with the Ca.
>computer?

You can use the Fed PCM. You may need to replace the tstat
with a 180F and use 92 octane if you experience pinging with it.
You'll probably have to replace it with CA version for emission tests.

BTW, I ran a best of 16.7x with the stock '97 computer (CA version
although Dak was bought in Ont. Canada). I replaced it with
a '96 MP PCM , Fed version (no '97 MP PCM available then) and
ran a best of 15.9x.

Since then, I'm running the '97 MP PCM (CA version only) on the
street. At the track with this computer, the best that I can run
in 1/4 is 15.8x, while my best with the '96 MP PCM is 14.71.

My scanner readouts show that the '97 MP PCM (CA version)
has a couple degrees more advanced timing and a bit more fuel
delivery across the rpm range than with the '97 stock PCM but,
to get CARB approval, the program severely retards the timing
at each shift point (auto.) under WOT operation (mid-20 degrees
advance backed off to 7 degrees).

I use the stock computer for emission tests.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE, 3.92SG, 4,275 lb (racing weight)
RW: 231.2 hp 340.0 torque PB: 14.71 93.19 mph