RE: Dakota Reliability / Quality

From: Karsh (karsh@cox-internet.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 12:01:06 EDT

Aaron I had the same questions when I first went looking at the Dakota for
almost the same reasons you are. Not only has consumer reports listed the
Dakota as a best buy I think for the last two years but the Dakota has 4 out
of 5 for front crash ratings and 5 out 5 for side impact crash ratings.
>From listening to the DML, which has been a wealth of information I do have
to say that the rotors have been a problem on the Dakota but it sounds like
this is reasonably eliminated with a good set of aftermarket rotors once the
original warp. Cost sounds like its about 50 to 150 bucks depending on the
make of rotors you get and weather you do it yourself or not. I haven't
heard anything about the ball joints though. Some of the other folks here
will know for sure though. Seems the DML has every type of driver out
there, from off road to street rod to soccer mom. As far as electrical I
haven't heard anything here that I haven't seen or had happen on the Chevy I
used to own or the Pontiac my wife owns at this time.