Re: Dakota Reliability / Quality

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 16:20:35 EDT

I have a '99 4x4 with 33K on it and have had very few problems, no more than I
think you'll find with any other truck out there.
-Peeling paint on the bumper. Not an issue with '01s, they have a plastic
cover
-Pinging, haven't heard of this problem with the 4.7L (I have the 5.2L)
-Foglight switch broke (redesigned in 2000)
-Leaking (very slightly, weeping really) transfer case tailshaft seal, need to
see dealer on this

Problems I have heard others with '99s had that I have not had.
-Balljoints wearing out
-Cab bolts popping (easy fix)

Bottom line, take care of your truck and it will take care of you. Anywhere
you look, you're going to find more people saying "I had so many problems with
product X" than "I have product X and it's perfect!" simply because people in
general like to complain. And keep in mind that in the same type of product
(pickup, washing machine, whatever) you'll find the same shortcomings in all
brands & models. I recently bought a digital camera even after hearing a lot
of people complain about image quality problems, odd quirks, etc. Why?
Because almost every other digital camera has the same problems. My particular
camera is flawless, in terms of build quality, and with each picture I take I
find it getting better because I'm learning how to use it better. But I don't
see many people on the forum I read saying "hey, mine's perfect!" - which
reminds me, I should go do that.