removing decals

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 22:46:15 EDT

I believe I'm an expert on decal removal, having removed my red R/T
emblems and replacing everything with silver. I also installed silver
"skunk stripes" which are finally ruined I believe from UV rays after 1
1/2 years, and I just had to take them off.
  Secret to doing this job easily- wait for a real sunny day, put the
truck out in the sun to cook for a while, and you shouldnt need the
hairdryer. The hotter it is, the better the chance that the adhesive
comes off with the decal, and doesnt stay stuck on the truck. If it
does, soak it with bug and tar remover (dump some on rag and quickly
smear it heavily onto adhesive), let it sit without rubbing it for
about 1 minute, then try to wipe it off in 1 big swoop. I never used
razor blades, just a fingernail, and no, they aint real long. Just need
enough to get the edge to left, then peel a wide section and try to get
as much off in one piece as possible.
Patrick