Advice Requested: Towing Mirrors for '01 QC

From: Russell McPherson (rdmcphe@home.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 23:34:52 EDT

Hello list,
I need to tow a 22' travel trailer with my 2001 SLT QC.
The truck has the following towing related options:

4.7 V8 (I don't do enough towing to justify the 5.9)
Multispeed Trans.
3.92 limited Slip Axle
Heavy Duty package
Factory Towing
6x9 Heated Power Mirrors

The 6x9 mirrors are great but they do not give adequate
visibility when towing an 8' wide trailer. I have tried
a pair of cheap strap-on mirrors. They have the right amount
of extension but they are small and shake a lot at highway
speeds.

I have tested CIPA CTM-10500 clip-on mirrors and they don't
fit. The CTM-10500 is advertised to fit the 1998-2001 Dakota.
(see http://www.cipamirrors.com/FitChartSpecials/ctm10500.htm)

The 6x9 heated power mirrors do not match the illustration at
the above link and they don't fit either. I tested them at a
local RV parts store.

As I see it my options are the following:

1. Get door mount mirrors
2. Get a better strap=on mirrors.
3. Find clip-on's that fit (for another model of truck maybe?)

What is the opinion of the list? Has anyone found a clip-on
mirror that works well with the 6x9 heated power mirrors?
Any suggests would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Russell McPherson