Re: Disapointment at the track last night, need advice

From: TonyC (acellan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 13:15:52 EDT

The R/T tires are about 29 inches tall while a stock 15 in setup is around
28 inches tall. This nets about a 3.5% reduction in gearing. The R/T
tire/wheel is about 15 pounds heavier(apiece) than the 15" combo. This
requires more power to overcome the rotational inertia. I also agree about
the shorter sidewall flexing less, which can lead to more wheel spin. A
headwind MAY also slow you down. My rationale, depending on the direction
of the staging lanes/engine run time while waiting, the wind direction may
allow for better engine cooling while waiting.
FYI: My 98 5.2 5spd R/C will 60 around 2.19-2.2 (275/60/15 street tires),
or 1.89-1.93 28" (M/T slicks), while my 2000 R/T will 60 around 2.17-2.19
stock tires or 1.93-1.96 with the same 28" slicks on a 15x8 Dakota rim.

TonyC