High oil pressure

From: Sam South (sawcut64@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 15:03:16 EDT

Well I just installed an Auto Meter mechanical oil pressure gauge a couple
of days ago to help keep an eye on the 360 that was installed a couple of
weeks ago. The motor has about 1100 miles and I'm running 5 w 30 dino oil on
it now and the oil pressure has me a little concerned. The stock gauge has
always been erratic so I didn't trust it, but when I installed the Auto
Meter it shows 70 PSI at idle and as much as 78 PSI when accelerating
normally when cold, after it warms up it's at 15PSI at idle and 40-50
PSI(depending on what speed) on the freeway, and up to 60-65 under WOT. I
don't have a problem with the readings after it's warmed up, but the 70-78
PSI when cold seems to me to be a little high, especially as the outside
temps are in the 80-90's, what the hell is going to happen when it's cold
out. I can't think of anything other than the oil pump causing this, isn't
there some sort of check valve in the pump. Any idea's or suggestions would
be appreciated. Thanks
Sam South
95 Dak, 5.9L,3.90 LSD,5-speed
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Mt5J8FaDfVCv6/