Re: Hot engine

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 10:54:52 EDT

> Hey, my 3.9L has always seemed to run hot, I mean, the temp gauge says it
> ok, and I've never had any problems with it, but it just seems really hot
> me. I mean, there's usually so much heat coming into the cab it feels
like
> I have the heater on low. Would a 180 or 160 t-stat fix that? And if so,
> how does going with a lower t-stat affect other things, like gas mileage,
> power, stuff like that? Thanks :)

Dave,
Spend about $150 and make sure it is running cool, cause heat will kill you
V6. I drain the radiator in my truck once a year and flush the cooling
system every other year. All of the cooling system parts are very easy to
work on, and you have a very similar truck that I have.
-Upper Radiator Hose: $15
-Lower Radiator Hose: $15
-Bypass Water Hose: $5
-Water Pump: $75
-Robert Shaw 195 tstat: $10
-Tstat Gasket: $2
-Prestone Coolant: $5 gallon

I really did notice an increase in overall driveability after adding the
Robert Shaw Tstat.
You may even want to add some DEI cooling system additive. My truck has
never ran warm and still has the factory radiator at 145,000 miles. I just
replaced the water pump about 6 months ago.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6