Re: Speed senor?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 17:48:38 EDT

Skelley99@aol.com wrote:
: Hi guys. Recently my speedometer stopped working. I had it test and they sai=
: d=20
: it was the speed sensor. Okay. So i bought a new one and installed it.=20
: Nothing. It still didnt work, so i took the new one off and put the old one=20
: on. =A0I didnt even crank the truck up immediatly because i assumed it still=
: =20
: wouldnt work. Anyway later that night i had to go somewhere and about a few=20
: miles down the road i noticed the speedometer worked again?! =A0It worked fo=
: r=20
: about another 75 miles, then i turned the truck off and i when i turned it=20
: back on the speedometer didnt work again and hasnt worked since. =A0Im assum=
: ing=20
: its not the sensor. Could it be that i didnt connect the wires right (which=20=
: i=20
: doubt is the case) or are there anymore sensors it could be, or any places=20
: where where the wires could have come loose. =A0HELP!! Any help would be=20
: appreciated...its annoying to not know how fast you are going!

  I have a similar problem with my '96, the speedo will stop working every
now and again. If I press on the speedo through the plexiglass, it starts
working again. Try rapping on the glass or tapping on the dash; if
it starts to work or the needle starts bouncing around, its probably a
loose connection behind the dash. I'm sure mine is due to knocking something
loose back there when I installed my alarm, it hasn't gotten bad enough
for me to pull the instrument cluster out again though. Probably not the
problem with your truck, but its something to check, anyway.

  Hey, if you have access to a scan tool or know someone with an OBD-II
scanner (there are a few programs out there that you can run right from
a laptop), get them to ride along and check the speed reading directly
from the computer. If they are getting a reading and your speedo still
isn't working, its almost certainly not the sensor. On the other hand,
if the speedo doesn't work, and there is no speed signal from the
computer either, chances are it does have something to do with the
sensor or wiring.

  Good luck!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'