Air Intakes - K&N Cracks

From: jdharmon@earthlink.net
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 01:41:32 EDT

Hey everyone. on the K&N FIPK. I have had one and it cracked after 6
months of use. yes, the engine does move a bit more after all the
mods. The K&N unit is attached firmly to the engine and to the saddle
on the fender well. The hole in the air wall also does not permit a lot
of movement. Well, mine did crack around the air hat. So what if
unfiltered air gets in? What happens to the cracked off parts of the
plastic air hat?? Do they get sucked down into the engine? Ouch! i am
unwilling to take that chance.

Just an FYI. I have been working on that problem lately since I have
the time. Have come up with a couple solutions on new intakes. The air
box idea is good, but unnecessary. Once moving, a whole lot of fresh
air from outside gets in. We checked and you only get 1 - 2 hp gain
from this wall at best. I should be able to tell you my solutions in
the near future.

Jim