Re: Food For Thought

From: mrdancer (mrdancer2@home.your.underwear.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 08:31:38 EDT

<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
news:9kjkap$dqv$1@bent.twistedbits.net...
> "mrdancer" <mrdancer2@home.your.underwear.com> wrote:
> : From the alt.hi-po.mopars newsgroup...
> [...]
>
> I have heard some of this before from other sources, so some items I
> know are true (others are easy enough to determine), but I was just
> wondering if anyone more knowledgeable than me about these cars knows
> if all of those items are true? (I'd like to pass this on to some other
> people, but I want to be sure its correct first...)
>

> : -One Dragster's 500-inch (Chrysler) Hemi engine makes more horsepower
then
> : the first 8 rows at Daytona.
>

> Wouldn't that mean a stock car only makes about 375hp? (6000 / 16)
> I'm no NASCAR fan, but I thought they made more than that? Maybe not
> though.

They addressed this on the mopars group. Since the Daytona track restricts
the engines, they put out *only* 500 hp. 500 x 16 = 8000hp. I understand
some of the newer Top Fuel dragsters are exceeding this.

> : -Drivers shut off before the finish line, or even dual parachutes will
not
> : stop the car.
>

> This one in particular struck me as odd. Its been a while since I've
> seen a top fuel race, but it seems to me the headers shoot flame right
> across the finish line. I'm almost certain I would have noticed if
> every top fuel driver always shut off before the line, especially given
> all the slow-mo finish line shots they show. ??

Probably unburned gases escaping and being ignited by the pipes. It
probably takes as long for it (gases) to escape the engine / exhaust
manifolds as it does for the dragster to shut down and reach the finish
line.

--
Remove .your.underwear to reply