Installed Rancho RS-5000's

From: Mike Gibbons (gibbons@onemain.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 23:15:05 EDT

Got my new Rancho RS-5000's installed this weekend and just got to take a
quick spin. The ride is definitely firmer. Actually, a little firmer than I
imagined it would be. The truck certainly feels more 'stuck' to the road but
gone is that smooth Cadillac ride. I think I can live with it though in
exchange for better road manners.

I was surprised to find that the OEM's were, in fact, Nitrogen charged. The
Rancho's claim to be a 'cellular gas design', whatever the heck that means.
They are not nitrogen charged like any other shock I've ever seen before
(i.e. the nitrogen charge will push the piston out to full travel with no
load). They are much more damped than the stockers though. The stockers
would let the truck porpoise a little with my bike in the back (approx 430
lbs) and when empty would, on occasion, let the back end skitter out on
expansion joints. The truck now feels much 'tighter'.

While I was installing shocks, I decided to go ahead and replace my Accel
cap & rotor and install Autolite 3923's. Previously installed were Autolite
5224's (or whatever Autolite calls out as stock replacement). Wouldn't you
know it, while trying to pull off the #2 plug boot (MSD 8.5
Superconductors), the boot and wire split in half! The crimp didn't let go,
the actual wire tore leaving half the boot and terminal with 1" of wire
still on the plug. I blame it on those damn heat shields. They won't let you
get a good grip on the boots. My next step was removal of all heat shields
(should have done it a long time ago). A quick call to the friendly people
at MSD customer support to explain that the wires were only 1.5 years old
and I have another one coming to me via 1st Class Mail, free-of-charge.
Gotta love that. Had to put that tiny black stocker back on though to keep
me mobile.

Mike G.
'99 CC SLT+ 4x4 w/318 auto
K&N Gen II (insulated)