Re: Looking for fellow Canadians

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 10:09:05 EDT

At 06:54 PM 8/6/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I was wondering if there where any other Canadians on the list,
>more precisely in Ontario, that could point me towards the right
>places to get aftermarket parts and custom work done on
>my Dakota R/T. Kevin

Kevin

Are you from around the Belleville area?

There's an Ontario chapter of the Dakota R/T mailing list. The contact person
is Craig Elstone at ELSTONEMILLER@SYMPATICO.CA. They also have
a mailing list set up on Egroups. I believe Craig is in the London, Ont. area.

I personally get most of my hardware MP parts from the parts dept.
at a dealer which gives me jobber's price. Other places that I look at
are Performance Improvements, Parts Sources, and, to a limited extent,
Canadian Tire (catalog at their parts counter; can't recall catalog name
is one of the larger U.S. distributors). Availability of the first two mention
would depend on where in Ontario you're located. Whoever you find,
prices for our stuff will be high in most cases.

As for custom work, word by mouth are the best sources. I was
put onto an engine man by the owner of the local Krown Rust
franchise. This engine man restores classic Mustangs but was
highly recommended for his meticulous engine work. While he
was not that familiar with the modern magnums, he used his
network of colleagues whenever he wanted to check on something
(and he was willing to deal in cash). For tranny and drivetrain
work, I found (word by mouth) a Firestone dealership in Toronto
whose owners and most of the mechanics race their own cars.

Talk with owners of mopars at either the race track, cruise nights
or performance auto shows to see who they use/recommend.

There are quite a few Ontario mopar people on the Mopar Mailing
list. You might want to join and get in contact with them to see
who they use.

HTH and good luck.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG