RE: Converting Manual crank windows to electric power...

From: David Medeiros (orange383@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 11:06:46 EDT

Hello,

What year/gen Dakota are you talking about? I did this conversion on my
91. I used used oem parts. Wiring isn't too bad if you get wiring from
your same year. You need the in-door harnesses as well as the connectors
and such from the underdash harness. I removed the underdash wiring, which
is integrated with many other circuits' grounds, and isolated it into it's
own harness then stuck it in my truck. However, I had a different year
harness. If you got the same year, you could just remove yours and add the
other one, although you might have to remove the dash. Not a big deal, but
it's time consuming. The oem parts bolt right in utilizing previously
unused holes. I'm not sure about aftermarket kits. They probably have the
disadvantage of how the mechanisms mount, but the advantage of a pre-wired,
plug-in type of harness. Whatever you do, get a factory manual so you have
the wiring schematics. And finally, no, I did not replace the door panels.
The electric door/window switch is in the same place as the manual window
crank. All you have to do is make some marks and cut a big, square hole.
By the way, you might as well add power locks since the door/window switch
is one unit.

David