Re: Re: 4.7 coolant change ...coolant f/u

From: WMBARRET@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 07:39:33 EDT

I'm not sure if this has already been said but, Don't use tap water to refill the radiator, use only distilled water. This is especially true for the 4.7L because the 4.7L has aluminum heads and a cast iron block. Aluminum and Iron do not go well together, they can corrode very wildly, tap water with mineral deposits can make the condition worse. The corrosion is very hard on head gasket materials. Ford has had major problems with there 3.8L doing the same thing. The Ford problem was made worse by a poor quality head gasket.
once the gasket gets weak, is gives out, and then you have blown gaskets.
I would highly recommend distilled water, the cost is very low, and it's worth the piece of mind.

Matt Y2K-HEMI
'00 RC 4.7L 5spd