Use Motor Oil in NV3500?

From: Michael Carr (michael.carr@sabre.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 14:13:22 EDT

Because a) nothing is too good for my truck, and b) somewhere out there
is a product better than the one they used at the factory, I have begun
a quest to find the best manual transmission lube for my truck.

Here’s what I learned so far:
1) Viscosity ratings of motor oils and gear lubes are not the same (40W
motor oil is equivalent to 90W gear lube.)
2) DC requirements a lube that meets is specification MS-9224. DC part
number 4874464.
3) Finding a low sulfur content lube is important because the brass
innerds of the NV3500 will be corroded by sulfur.
4) Sulfur is added in some degree to all gear lubes (giving it that
unique smell) to provide critical lubrication properties.
5) Some DMLers use Redline MTL; some MT-90; some a mixture of each. At
least one DMLer uses Amsoil Gear Lube. Regardless, each contains
sulfur. How much I don’t know.

Being a fan of Amsoil, I asked an Amsoil Tech to recommend a lube that
contains little or no sulfur. What he said floored me: “There is no
sulfur in AMSOIL Crankcase Lubricants. Use 5W30 or 0W30, the AMSOIL
Series 2000, 0W30 would be best. Note: The 0w30 in place of the 5w30
(Chrysler part # 4874464) may improve the stiff shifting problem that
the Getrag G360 transmission has had when shifting from second gear to
third gear.” (I have asked AMSOIL to see in writing a product that meets
MS-9224, but have not yet received a response.)

On a Dodge Turbo Diesel forum, there was a reference to using of Amsoil
5W30 in NV5600 transmissions with good results. My questions to you
all are: What do you think? Can a motor oil protect the transmission
as well as the gear lube can? (I know Ford uses ATF in their PSD 6speed
gear boxes, so….) Have you or anyone you know used motor oil in a manual
transmission? The result? Does anyone want to be the first to try it
here?