Dead Magnum S/T.."What if - worst case scenario"....long'

From: kevinhoegen (kevinhoegen@email.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 12:22:36 EDT

I realize I'm jumping the gun by asking this BEFORE I determine the nature
of my transmission problem...or for that matter if I have warranty coverage,
but I dont know when I'll have access to the net again:

If I have a serious transmission problem which requires clutch and/or
transmission replacement.....AND if I no longer have warranty coverage (only
36k on it now) :-(...I am NOT gonna have the dealership do the work...I'll
probably try to save some $$ by going to a local shop I trust (would you
believe we just put a another engine AND transmission into my wifes 4x4 this
year....man the $$$$ is flyin out the window). Before you ask, the car aint
paid for yet....that's why we did all the work.

Back to the dead Mag S/T......If I replace the clutch or transmission on the
Dak (worst case scenario), I'd like to make sure the new set-up is better
than the old. Considering this will be outa pocket anyway and if there is no
warranty coverage I am not limited to 'stock parts", any suggestions on how
to proceed...in other words, aftermarket 'perfromance' clutch/transmission
replacement. I'm guessing it wont cost much more than it will already if I
have this job done, so I might as well get performance parts put back in.
Excuse this ignorant question...as I know squat about transmissions....but
in replacing the transmission, would this be an opportunity to change the
gear ratio...or is that a whole other job?? I'm not positive about the gear
ratio I currently have....but Chuck referred to my Dak as a "one wheeled
monster :-)"...when I grow up I wanna have a Chuck Robbins set-up :-)

Like I said...I'm jumping the gun here...and I am also assuming the
worst.....but I figured I could get some feedback from yall before things go
any further....especially considering that Charter has said that there was a
major power outage in Boston, cutting pipeline service throughout the state
and CT as well...so I don't know when I can get to internet acess again.

Kevin
kevinhoegen@email.com
....it times like these when ya just gotta say....WHY