Code P1281

From: Michael Carr (michael.carr@sabre.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 14:00:16 EDT

Last week I installed a Robert Shaw 330-180 thermostat and today (after
driving about 100 miles) the check engine light came on (P1281/coolant
too cool for too long.) The weather has been the same (mid-70s at night
and upper-90s during the day.) A/C is always on. The temp gauge
hovers at or just above the first line on the gauge (there are no
numbers.)

Is anyone else using a 330-180? Have you had any trouble?

Could something besides the thermostat be causing this?

A few months back, a DMLer mentioned that the 330-180 would be better
than the 755-180 on the 4.7L because the spring on the 755-180 may not
be able to withstand the pressure of the 4.7L's water pump (all of this
was based on a recommendation from a CooperStandard engineer.) After
removing the OEM thermostat, I could see why - that spring is huge!