Re: If this bill gets passed....good bye DML.

From: Jeff Garner (jmgarner@qwest.net)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 20:49:19 EDT

Bill 602P "True or False"

----

Many have contacted my office concerning "Bill 602P".

Let me clear up the recent confusion surrounding the so-called "602P". Rumors have been floating around that the government was to begin assessing a fee for the use of email. This is completely false.

The FALSE rumors include:

The FCC plans to charge 5 cents per e-mail.

The FCC plans to allow phone companies to charge for the time it takes to send each e-mail.

The FCC and/or the post office will impose a flat charge on Internet use to cover e-mail.

These rumors of any legislation proposed to place additional fees for e-mails are untrue! No one is currently planning to levy any fee against e-mail -- not the FCC -- not the Post Office -- not any branch of the U.S. government. I can assure you I would not support any legislation to assess these kinds of fees.

While it's not common knowledge, the first clue that something is wrong about the "legislation" mentioned in the hoax e-mails you may have received is that house bills do not have letters after them. Looking up H.R. 602 you will actually find out that this legislation deals with long-term care insurance. The" 602P" legislation was allegedly introduced by a Congressman Tony Schnell. I can assure you that there is no one in Congress by that name.

The Internet represents a great advancement in communications technology. It provides benefits to business, education and many other parts of the economy. Using the Internet we can research a school paper or shop at a clothing store half way around the world without leaving the comfort of our home.

Information on the Internet is available to anyone with access to a computer and a phone line. This low-cost accessibility is one of the greatest attributes of the Internet. It ensures access to information for a rapidly increasing number of people.

It is important to me that the Internet remains available to all responsible users. Continued Internet availability, without additional fees or charges, ensures that the Internet may be used as it was intended: a resource in education, communication, and commerce. In 1997, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) reviewed their requirements of Internet Service Providers. After a period of public comment, the FCC decided not to charge Internet access fees. I have cosponsored legislation, H.R. 1291, which would put that FCC decision into law. The goal of this bill is simple: there should be NO access charges for using the Internet. I am happy to say the voice of the people has been heard on this issue, and neither the FCC, nor the Post Office, will be charging Internet access or email fees.

If you have further questions about the 602P hoax, please contact my office at 1-800-773-8579.

http://www.house.gov/markgreen/602p.htm

Also