Re: body lift.

From: MJ Inginson (mjingison@home.com)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 17:01:05 EDT

A bodylift is exactcly what the name implies. You lift the body off of the
frame a certain distance. The suspension stays the same but clearance
between the fenders and tires increase. The kits use spacers in 2,3, and
even 4 inch increments. The spacers are made from injected nylon, aluminum,
or steel. You'll get longer bolts to replace the body mount bolts. if the
height is really big, a longer fuel fill/vent tube, tranny linkage
extension, bumper reloacation brackets, and some other stuff. You're center
of gravity (CG) will be higher. Some of the things to look out for when
doing one is to look at all wiring, hoses and linkages that are both
attached to the frame and body (brake lines are a good example). Look to
see what may happen if you move the body away from the frame the height you
want. 5 speed and transfer case levers will have a reduced area to move.
mine like to pop out of second gear until I opened the rubber boot up some.
4 low had the same problem. Steering columns may be a problem depending on
the degree of lift applied. If you look underneath you'll see the bolts that
hold the body to the frame. I did a hombrew 2 inch lift on my 95 and the
biggest problem was removing the old bolts.

Mike I.
95 CC 4x4 v6