4x4 question.....off-topic (2)questions

From: Kevin \(MAGNUM S/T\) Hoegen (kevinhoegen@email.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 12:42:02 EDT

Hey all,

Here I go again.....just put a new engine and tranny into my wifes Geo
tracker....then I am in the process of putting a new clutch in the
Dak.....and guess what......Now the Tracker needs Front
Rotors/Calipers/Pads...AND....new axles :-(

Because of the recent Tracker work (and the fact that it is NOT paid of
yet), we are gonna start treating the Tracker more like the Dak. As things
go, I plan to put performance parts where possible.

Question #1:
Here's my question. I have never done a brake job aor anything of the such,
but I want to start. Based on the inof below, and my lack of experience, can
you recommend what I should do myself and what I should leave to the pros (I
consider myself mechanically inclined, It is usually a time or laziness
factor that keeps me from doing the work myself :-):

Tracker needs:

Complete Front Brake Job (Pads/CalipersRotors)
Brake System Flush
Replacement of left and right outer Half Shafts

The labor costs alone are why I want to try and do the work
myself...plus...if I plan to keep my Dak and this rebuilt Tracker for
years...I better start learning/doing some of this work myself.

Question #2
Is there a group similar to the DML that deals with Trackers/4x4 issues? I
have learned a great deal from the DML, and it has allowed me to do many
jobs myself. I'd like to know if there is a similar resource out there now
that I plan to do the same with my wife's Tracker.

TIA all

(because this is somewhat off-topic, you can email me direct with your

Thanks again,
Kevin