Re:Synthetic Longevity WAS: Oil filters

From: gt6416b@prism.gatech.edu
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 13:02:20 EDT

Really what is important about your oil, besides the lubrication and cooling it
provides, is the addatives that are used to control the pH levels and other bad
things created while running your engine. Usually your engine uses up these
addatives well before the oil loses its lubrication properties. The change
interval will also depend on the quality of gas used in your engine. If you use
the "cheap stuff" that use some alcohol or something similar in its production
or has a higher sulfur content then your oil will pick up contaminants more
quickly. Leaving oil over its intended use will cause oil cavities, cylinder
walls, bearings and what not to be literally eaten away and prematurely fail.
If you get your oil tested, then you can tell if you can run an extra 500-2000
miles, but figure in a little safety factor to make sure your engine gets the
max protection. Synthetics usually do not have any more capacity to get rid or
contain these toxins than virgin oil. I use a synthetic blend (I prefer
valvoline), because for most consumer applications (driving to work an back and
occasional moderate hauling) you wont see any noticeable benifits from a blend
as oppossed to the "full" synthetic

>Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 10:29:42 -0400
>From: "Sevrence, Sean (S.J.)" <ssevrenc@visteon.com>
>Subject: DML: Synthetic Longevity WAS: Oil filters
>
>Hey Guys!
>
>Using synthetic oil, I understand we can run that oil longer than
>traditional oil as long as we change the filter at normal ranges. My
>question is what is a good distance for the synthetic oils before draining
>and refilling? Ron Wong mentioned he was going to have the oil tested at
>each 5k interval (I believe that was the distance). Any update Ron?
>
>Any thoughts and knowledge appreciated. Thanks!
>
>Sean
>'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 250,000mi!
>'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1!
>http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/DnuuSncssJujU

Sent through Cyberbuzz- A Server for the Students
http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/