Re: New Drag Strip In So Cal!!!!!

From: Woodruff, Jason P (Jason.Woodruff@West.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 13:51:26 EDT

I heard of a new track on the news preview. I just assumed it was
Irwindale's 1/8th they spoke of.

I'd go to Fontana in a heart beat. Anything to avoid Carlsbad.

Here's what I found off the California Speedway web site

http://www.californiaspeedway.com/

June 19, 2001) - In a joint announcement today by California Speedway and
the National Hot Rod Association, plans for a new quarter-mile drag strip to
host the NHRA's Street Legal program were unveiled by California Speedway
President Bill Miller and NHRA President Tom Compton.

The new strip, which is designed for street cars to race in a controlled
environment, will be located on the south side of the speedway in Parking
Lot 1, behind the main grandstands. A concrete launch pad will be
constructed in lot 1, along with a temporary starting stand and timing
system. In addition, temporary concrete barriers will be brought in to line
the course.

"With a small amount of reconstruction to the parking area, we are able to
host this great program which has deep roots in our area," said Miller. "We
look forward to working with the NHRA in developing this drag strip and
giving people a quarter-mile strip to race their vehicles."

The first weekend of racing is currently scheduled for September 8th and
9th. The speedway plans to host two additional dates, September 22nd and
23rd and October 6th and 7th, to get the program underway. Following the
November 4th CART FedEx Championship Series race, the speedway plans to
conduct a winter racing schedule beginning in mid-January. The speedway will
also host a summer racing schedule.