Ram Air Revisited

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 16:28:46 EDT

Information only for 1/4-milers et al.

This is not a revisit of the ram vs cold air discussions of past threads.

I am using a Ram Air Inlet system with two 4" ducts, one running to
the left of the rad on the pass. side and the other running to fender hole
by the battery (soon to be to the right of the rad).

In recording sensor inputs during 1/4-mile runs, I found that this
setup has a significant effect on barometric pressure readouts.

At the Mopar Nats (National Trailway Dragway is about 950' above
sea level), I got a baro. reading of 29.1" while waiting at the tree.
When I hit 25 mph, baro. reading had risen to 29.4" and, at 39 mph,
baro. reached 30.3" (all in 1st gear). The baro. pressure then oscillated
from 30.3" to 30.5" for the remainder of the 1/4 mile.

So, while air flow (cfm) may not be significantly increased with a ram air
setup until speeds of 80-100 mph or so, a ram air setup does have
a pretty big effect on the barometric pressure that the pcm sees.

Bob