My 4x4 1996 Dak fineally goes down the track...

From: Fast4x4Dakota@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 17:35:46 EDT

Well I fineally made it to the track with my truck, and got to make 3 passes.

All runs were done in 75-80 deg temps except the 1st which was about 65 deg.
First pass I spun the tire a little just to clean it and staged, launched
from about a 1200 RPM footbrake and cut a .600 light, a small amt of wheel
spin and I was out of the hole pretty good, I let the truck shift for itself
which is about 4900 RPM. The truck launched straight ans stayed straight
even under braking for the very first turn around. Timeslip...

Reaction --- .602
60 ft --- 2.450
330 ft --- 7.060
1/8 mi --- 10.808
1/8 mi MPH-65.23
1000 ft --- 14.028
1/4 mi et-- 16.775 @ 81.94 MPH

I cut a decent light and made an OK pass, the MPH I think is a little low and
the ET a little slow, but the truck does have 123,000 miles on it and heavy
31" tires.

The second pass I decided to launch it at about 1800 RPM to try and get a
better 60' time and pick up a better ET, all this got me was a WHOLE lot of
wheel spin, I got in and out of the gas about 5 or 6 times in 1st and it just
wouldn't quit spinning, so since I knew my pass was shot I just stepped into
it and held it, it shifted second at about the 330' mark and kept spinning to
about the 1/8 mile... results are as follows...

Reaction --- 1.262 yeah I was sleeping, too busy watching the tach
60 ft --- 3.171
330 ft --- 8.877
1/8 mi --- 13.089
1/8 mi MPH-60.05
1000 ft --- 16.489
1/4 mi et-- 19.314 @ 80.20 MPH

For my 3rd pass I decided to try and launch it just like the first time with
no burnout, just dry hop it 3 or 4 times to clean the tires, it worked and I
was rewarded with my best pass all day, the only change I made this pass was
a manual 2-3 upshift at 5150 instead of the shift point of 4900 the past 2
runs, next time I race I'll try a manual 1-2 shift too and see if I improve
anymore...

Reaction --- .812 still sleeping
60 ft --- 2.482
330 ft --- 7.084
1/8 mi --- 10.824
1/8 mi MPH-65.48
1000 ft --- 14.029
1/4 mi et-- 16.757 @ 82.70 MPH

Ok so I only went 2/100'th faster, it's still faster and I had more MPH...
Future mods will be, no fan, short belt (no ac), and dropping some air out of
the rear tires in search of more traction! Any comments and suggestions are
welcome!!!

Luke
1996 Black 4x4 Dakota, 16.75 @ 82.7 MPH, SLT CC SB, 318, 3" 2 Chamber
Flowmaster cat back exhaust, 9" open element Mr. Gasket Air cleaner, 52mm
Ported TB, 3923 Autolites, A-518 / 46RE, 3.55 geared Peg Leg 8 1/4, 31x10.50
BFG Mud Terrains, Alpine CD player, Infinity Kappa Speakers.
If Murphy's Law ever leaves me alone I'll have this installed soon: E-Body 8
3/4" Rear axle, 3.55 gears, Detroit locker, 10" Brakes, and Moser Engineering
custom alloy axles!