Folding tonneau covers

From: Val Lowe (vlowe@rcn.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 15:29:31 EDT

I would like to get a folding tonneau cover for my Quad Cab. I've been
looking at products by Fold-a-cover, Advance and Aerocover (Rugged
Liner). What I'm looking for is a lockable hardcover, easily removable by
one person, minimal drilling for installation, which secures in an open
position for driving. I would prefer a cover that only has locks on the
driver's side as opposed to walking around to the passenger side to unlock
it. From what I've found on the web, it looks like the Fold-a-cover is a
three panel design and the Advance and Aerocover are two panel designs. It
also appears that each panel of the Aerocover is hinged at the front (the
front section folds toward the cab) and that the other two products are
hinged between panels (the front section folds back). I'm not sure if you
can drive with the Aerocover open or not. The rear panel of the Aerocover
seems to overlap the tailgate to prevent opening - a nice feature but I'm
worried about it rubbing the paint. The Fold-a-cover has something called
"quick access". I'm not sure what that means. I think Aerocover is ABS
plastic, the others are aluminum and rigid foam.

If anyone has seen any of these covers I'd appreciate some feedback
regarding locking mechanisms, installation, quality, etc.

TIA,
Val