Re: Terror...time for reflection

From: Kevin \(MAGNUM S/T\) Hoegen (kevinhoegen@email.com)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 14:55:54 EDT

The average American tends to take for granted the freedom, opportunity and
security our country affords us with. In a time like this, we should all
reflect on what we have...families..careers...opportunity...etc

Although my heart is filled with unbelievable anger and anguish, I am also
thinking of the repercussions. I fear that not only will our future freedom
be affected, but if in-fact we do choose military action (very likely), I
fear it will be a very long fight. These religious fanatics (assuming at the
moment that this is a middle east faction is responsible) believe that they
are the chosen ones and do not fear death. An enemy that does not fear
death, and in many cases welcomes it is a very dangerous one.
Remember also that the middle east has been thwart with unresolved violence
for hundreds of years...I am hoping (and Praying) that if we do choose to
fight, that we go all out....lest we see another situation not unlike
Vietnam. This enemy is unlike any others we have fought....however we would
like to just BOMB THE HELL outa all of them, it is only a fraction which is
responsible....therefore the US has a difficult task of targeting JUST those
responsible. I fear that we are only seeing the beginning of a very tragic
story which shall evolve over time.

I realize that this is off topic, but considering the circumstances I am
seeing my fellow DMLers more as fellow citizens than just a group of Dakota
enthusiasts. I can't help but vent my frustration and concerns with yall in
a feeble attempt to ease my fears and make some sense outa this....I'm not
even sure how or if to address this situation with my 8yr old daughter.

I am hoping that somehow, like most tragedies in the past, that some good
comes of this. Maybe, just maybe some of us will put our cynicism on the
shelf and replace it with appreciation and a stronger feeling of community.

Thanks for hearin me out
<stepping off the soap box>

--
Kevin Hoegen