DML'ers in Southern California and Arizona, we need your help (Long)

From: Chris Oertell (coertell@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 03:41:13 EDT

This message goes out to all SoCal DML'ers who would like to lend a helping
hand to help out some needy children. Every year the SoCal Durango Owners
Club (DOC) conducts a toy drive with the United States Marine Corps for Toys
For Tots. Please read the email below which will describe everything
including dates for this event. Please help us to meet or exceed our goals
for this year. I know we can do it with your support. Please email me with
any questions or if you are willing to help. Thanks.

Hi All!!

Once again, it's time for all SoCal DOC members to pitch in for our Third
Annual Toys For Tots drive. If you are thinking it's coming earlier than
usual, you're right!! We need to get an early start if we want to achieve
our goal of again doubling the previous years contribution, which for 2001
is $30,000!. The early start will also allow us to attract media attention
to our efforts and a longer collection period. We will have boxes out for an
entire month instead of two weeks. And hopefully 4 SoCal stores instead of
two for Toy Day.

Normally, the toys and cash contributions we collect stay in SoCal. However,
in light of the tragedy of September 11, a portion of the toys and cash
contributions we collect this year will be sent to New York City, Washington
DC and Pennsylvania for the children of the victims.

The PT Cruiser Club will help us in our efforts this year, as will the DML
(Dakota Mailing List), the SoCal Neon Owners Club, the Viper Club of America
, the DTOA (Dodge Truck Owners Association) and possibly the Prowler Club.
The PT Cruiser club is also working with the AZDOC to make their drive a
success! With this much help, how can we miss??

Below you will find a timeline of events and a list of people to contact for
various things. Feel free to lend a hand in any way you can - don't be shy!!
It will take the efforts of all of us to make this work. We need ALL members
to chip in when and wherever you can. This is the only charity event we do
all year - and it's more work than a half-dozen or so of us can handle.

How can you help? Well, do you have an excellent relationship with your
local dealer? Ask them if you can set up a collection box at the dealership!
How about setting out a box at your place of employment? Have a few minutes
a week to distribute posters and boxes, or pick up toys from an overflowing
box? Ask family and friends to donate a toy. Send a PSA to your local radio
or TV station, or your local paper's calendar section. Decorate your vehicle
and hand out flyers on Toy Day! Join the caravan to deliver toys to Camp
Pendleton!. Offer to stuff your D full of toys for someone who can't make
the delivery caravan or borrow a trailer for someone with more than a
D-full!!

Special note to East County members: Mike and Karen Weed, of Fontana, have
agreed to become coordinators in the Riverside, Orange and San Bernardino
County areas. Contact them at gophor@aol.com
to coordinate a place to meet.

Haven't had a chance to get involved in the club yet? Brand new member
wanting to make new friends and have blast in the process? Here's your
chance!

Let's make a Dodge Durango Difference.

More later as details get hammered out! Hope to hear from ALL of you soon!

Sincerely,
Sally "Dusty D" Johnson

PS: This letter is also sent as an attachment. It was written using
Word97/2000 so you can see it in all it's glory! It should work in WordPad
as well. I can snail-mail anyone a copy should you need one.

So, without further ado...the 2001 Toys for Tots Plan of Attack!!

Toys for Tots 2001 -- The Plan

Timeline:

Now through October 5 Members need to contact local dealerships and enlist
support for the drive NOW. All we need is a few square feet of floor space
to set up boxes on November 3. Cliff Watson has the name and number of the
Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep Rep for all of SoCal, who may make our jobs much easier
for us if we can get him on board. Collection locations need not be limited
to dealerships, but may include your workplace, a restaurant you frequent,
etc., but the main emphasis is on the dealerships.

Now through November 3 Determine which 3 or 4 stores will be selected for
Toy Day in SoCal. One each in East County and North County, 1 or 2 in South
County. Wal-Marts were very supportive last year, but be careful of
scheduling conflicts with the Marines, who may already have a drive going on
December 1. One store to be selected in Arizona, where the PT Cruiser Club
has offered to assist Mary Rempp (Thumpr2) with the AZDOC drive.

Saturday, September 22 Meeting of South County members, primarily for those
unable to attend kick-off meeting, but all are invited. Location and time
TBA. May have posters and boxes to distribute.
Friday, September 28 Meeting of North County members, primarily for those
unable to attend kick-off meeting, but all are invited. At the Hometown
Buffet, 7868 Van Nuys Blvd, Van Nuys, 8pm. Hope to have posters and boxes
available for distribution.

Friday, October 5 Deadline for PSA's (Public Service Announcements) to
radio stations and newspapers. This PSA should announce which dealers will
have boxes in place.
Friday, October 19 Normally, the 3rd Friday meeting. Rescheduled for
Saturday, October 27.
Saturday, October 27 The Sanchez' Halloween/Anniversay/Housewarming Party
and the '3rd Friday Meeting' to wrap up any last minute details before
collection month starts.

October 29 to November 3 Toy collection month starts, to last until the
week of December 8. Boxes and posters need to be distributed during this
week to all dealers/businesses collecting toys for us.

Friday, November 2 Deadline for PSA's for Toy Drive Day.
Saturday, November 3 Toy collection month starts. Members will need to
pick-up toys as often as needed when boxes get full, which hopefully will be
often!!
Friday, November 16 3rd Friday meetings to discuss Toy Day, how collection
is going, the Christmas Party and Delivery Day.

Saturday December 1 Decorate your vehicle for Toy Day at the selected
stores. A schedule will be established at each location to ensure coverage
all day long. Drive will run from 9am to 4pm. Toys gathered in San Diego
area will be held until the Christmas party and caravan to Camp Pendleton,
December 9. Toys collected in Ventura County that day will be delivered to
NBVC, Port Hueneme immediately after the drive. Toys collected in East
County areas will either be delivered to a local Marine detachment (if
available) or held for the caravan. The reason we don't bring all the toys
to Camp Pendleton is because the Marines wish toys collected in a particular
area to stay in that area for the benefit of local children. Toys collected
at the dealerships, at work and elsewhere however, can be saved for the
caravan, so you don't arrive with an empty vehicle!!
Saturday December 8 SoCal DOC Christmas party. Dress up and have a fine
meal in San Diego. Location TBA. End of collection month. All boxes need to
be retrieved on this day or a day or two before, but in no case before
December 5.
Sunday, December 9 Delivery Day caravan to Camp Pendleton. Those unable to
attend need to get their toys to someone who can. Details on gather location
TBA. Decorate your vehicle today too!! NOTE: Due to the recent terrorist
attacks, access to Camp Pendleton may be denied. An alternative plan to
deliver the toys at some location off-base will be implemented should this
occur.

WHO TO CONTACT:

South County Coordinators: Brian Fahrner, sdbrian@san.rr.com, or Joanne,
sdjoey@san.rr.com
North County Coordinator: Sally Johnson, dusty_durango@hotmail.com
East County Coordinator: Mike Weed, gophor@aol.com
Arizona Coordinator: Mary Rempp, mrempp@hotmail.com

WHO IS DOING WHAT:

Marine Liaisons: Brian Farhner, Sally Johnson and Heather Middleton,
meandmydal@home.com
Paperwork (PSA's, letters, flyers, too many emails, etc.) Sally Johnson
CHP/Police Escort: Ed Halterman, olznut@webtv.com
PT Cruiser Club Liaison: Brian Fahrner
Neon Club Liaison: Jhun Pablo, My_First_Dodge@hotmail.com
DML Liaison: Chris Oertell, coertell@earthlink.net
DTOA Liaison: Jim Harmon, jdharmon@earthlink.net
Viper Club Liaison: Sally Johnson
Prowler Club Liaison: Cliff Watson, cjr@watsonworld.org
Dodge Dealer Liaison: Sally Johnson or Cliff Watson or ????? (Hint, hint!!)

If I've missed anyone, just let me know and I'll rectify it immediately!

Chris Oertell
Arcadia, CA
http://www.dodgetruckonline.com
coertell@earthlink.net
1998 Dodge Dakota Sport V6 Regular Cab Emerald Green
1989 Kawasaki EX500
AOL IM--coertell73
ICQ #--19870422