Subject: Re: Was: Bernd's New Look!, Now: Texas Food

From: Mike Gibbons (gibbons@onemain.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 23:36:20 EDT

I was born and raised in Del Rio. Spent most of my life there. Learned a
little about Tex-Mex along the way. Taco Cabana isn't necessarily the BEST
but it brings back memories of my youth. Nothing like the drive through
after the bars close at 2am. Comin' home from Denim and Diamonds, drunk as
hell with cops keepin' the peace in the parking lot (of course I'm MUCH more
mature now and would NEVER advocate drinking and driving......NOT!) TC use
to be better than it is now. I remember going when there was only one. Las
Palapas has never been one of my favorites. Ate there last time I was down.
Wasn't impressed, again. For really good BBQ, nothing beats Tom's Ribs, but
for a quick in-and-out, Bill Miller's rocks. Poor-boy with hash browns and
lots of onions and a large iced tea. Great for a hang-over.

Now for real Mexican, I can take you to Acuna. How about some Ma' Crosby's
or Lando's if you want to stay close to the bridge or I can show the
definition of a hole-in-the-wall if you want to head inland a little. Finish
the night off with a trip to Boys Town? As for the Spanish, I get by pretty
well for a white boy. Chupas mi this and beso mi that (spelling may be off).
I can get us some beers, prostitutes and definitely get us in a fight!!

Dak content - I always look forward to hitting the highway headed south in
my Dak. Comfortable, quiet and V-8 power to boot. Great truck for a road
trip and might get the chance to do some four wheeling around my parents
place in Kerrville.

Mike G.

Please ! don't go to Taco Cabana and think that's good Tx Mex food. At
least go to Las Palapas, or try some hole-in-the-wall place. Usually
something with 'Jalisco' in the name is a good bet (a little spanish might
be needed). You're right on with Chris Madrid's, but you can take it one
step further and go to 'Little Hipps' just north of Downtown. They've got a
burger with a patty as big as a pancake, no exaggeration. For BBQ, got to
go to Rudy's.

Vic in SA