honest answers to tire questions

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 20:51:42 EDT

Chuong-
  I looked at the pictures and my professional statement would be that
something sliced the sidewall of the tire. This is how I based my
statement-
  Radial tires have a cord body that runs from bead area across the
tread and down to the bead on the other side. The sidewall, if
defective, will come apart at a seam where this cord body is overlapped
by another piece of cordbody, and the rupture will be from bead to tread
on normally 1 sidewall. (This however, does not mean that every
sidewall rupture from bead to tread is a defect. To determine a defect,
you must first locate the seams inside the tire-felt as a hump from bead
to bead, then locate the rupture and see if it is in the same location
as the seam. If not, it is an impact break, which is not a defect,
caused by an external forced hitting the sidewall so hard that it
ruptured the cord body) A slice in the sidewall circumferentially is
the same as cutting across the cord body of the tire, kindof cutting it
across the grain, so to speak. This is normally done by road hazards
and rubbing up against something that slice the tire.
  Another way to think of it is this-
  Imagine that your jeans came apart at a seam. You would expect this
to happen if the seam wasnt stitched together properly, and therefore
was manufactured incorrectly. Now, in another instance, you find a tear
in the middle of the thigh area, not even close to a seam. The only way
to tear a woven fabric would be to catch it on something or a sharp
object would have to impact it or cut it, which is just bad luck, but no
fault of the manufacturer of the fabric or the company that makes the
jeans. This is the same as what happened to your tire, which I cannot
fathom would be a defect, but rather a road hazard.
  Patrick