Re: mo power

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 10:57:16 EDT

At 06:03 PM 10/2/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I am new to the list, and am sure this has been asked a thousand times,
>but here goes. My 2001 quad cab with automatic 4.7 is looking for a little
>more power. I tow a 4,000 pound boat about 300 miles each way to Lake Powell
>over very hilly terrain, (hills bigger than the mountains in Maryland
>where I grew
>up). --SNIP--
>Soooo, any suggestions. Anybody have any hard data? Like a dyno run?
>Anybody have experience at getting more power at altitude? Mark

Welcome to the list, Mark.

The items (exhaust, Jet chip) that you listed will add some power but
will most likely move your power band up on the rpm scale. It would
seem to me that your need for more power is to move a very heavy truck
with a very heavy tow up very steep hills i.e. need is for more torque below
2500 rpm or so than for more hp above 3000 rpm. With that in mind,
the only thing that I can think of that will do that and not be affected by
high attitude is an actual gear ratio or an effective gear ratio change
(i.e. smaller diameter rear tires). Keep in mind that this will increase
rpms at hiway speeds but not unduly so with the OD.

Sounds like you would benefit with at least a 4.10 gear. HTH.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG