Re: Re: OBD1 vs OBD 2 ECT sensor

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 11:18:05 EDT

"Jon Smith" <jon@fast4x4.net> wrote:
: you've got 2 sensors... the 2 wire feeds the computer, the 1 wire feeds
: your gauge, they're both right there at the front of the intake manifold by
: the thermostat housing.

  That is correct, sir. :-) Just a little more info relating to
the original question and OBD1 vs OBD2, the "2 coolant sensor"
setup is found on all Magnums through 1996, so its not technically
an OBD issue. ('96 is the first year of OBD-II) '97+ trucks only
have one sensor (the 2 wire), but that's because of a change in
the way the gauges are configured; the same sensor is used for the
computer and the gauge.

  When I went to Autozone to get a new one wire sensor, I asked for
a coolant temp sensor and they gave me the two wire one. When
I told them I needed the other, single wire one, the guy looked at
me as if I was an idiot and said it was called a "switch", not
a sensor. (Ok, so what exactly is it "switching"?) :-P Anyway,
you may want to ask for that if you're at a parts store or something.
If you're at the dealer though, they should know what you're talking
about if you tell them you are looking for the sensor that feeds the
gauge, not the computer. If all else fails, they can pull up a
picture of the engine on the computer and you can show them exactly
which one you want.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'