Re:Mopar Performance PCM installed

From: George S Willhite (gswillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 15:01:05 EDT

Sounds familiar....

MAP sensor?

---------------------------------

Installed a Mopar Performance PCM in my 1999 5.2l, 4x4, auto, Dak last
night. Good news? There is a significant and very noticable performance
increase. Bad news? As some suspected on DML, it did not mask any of the
symptoms that that Dodge Boys have been unable to fix except the lack of
power. (ping, shake/stumble at a constant 1400 rpms/50 MPH). As I said to my
fiance after a quick test drive.... "It still runs crappy, but now it's a
faster crappy".

Interestingly, the side affects were different than any version I heard
about. The odometer still reads the right mileage. The ABS and Brake warning
lights are on which I'll use my OBD-II scanner to shut off. I don't know
about the VIN yet, but I will once I hook the truck to the scanner.

For those interested in the gory details, here's what the Dodge boys and I
have done to try and solve my '99's drivability problems.

Complete tuneup (me)
Replaced belly pan gasket
Reflashed computer
replaced cat (which did make a little difference)
replaced battery
replaced ball joints
A couple other things I don't recall at the moment....

And they ran diagnostics that say the truck should be running fine.
Gee, that's what the Chrysler rep said too! Chrylser and the Dodge dealer
just shrug their shoulders now, despite ALL THREE service managers
acknowledging that the truck runs like crap.

Anyone know a mechanic in New England that might actually be able to
diagnose the real problem?

thanks,

Rick