RE: Re: Installing clear front lights????????

From: Mallett, Donald B (Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 22:28:35 EDT

Thanks for the info. These came with side markers lamp sockets that fit. All
I needed to do was cut off the OEM lamp sockets and wire in the new ones.
The rest fit like a glove :) The kit came with six DARK amber bulbs. Took
about 20 min. for the entire job. Not bad looking for $47 and change
including shipping!

--
*------------------------------Y2KOTA------------------------------*
Don Mallett

-----Original Message----- From: Ronald Wong [mailto:ron-wong@home.com] Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 9:20 PM To: Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com Subject: RE: Re: Installing clear front lights????????

I don't understand why you didn't have to do any cutting. Maybe they started making them differently. The marker lamp socket used to have a lip on it that had to be cut off (at least for Y2K Daks). Bernd had told me the '97s were different and didn't need that either, probably because of bulb size and type. In any case, here's what I went through.

============================================================================ ===== I have just finished installing the clear corners for my Dakota. It was an experience, to say the least, as it is with most aftermarket parts. My hat's off to Dremel whose product has become near and dear to my heart. This project would have taken a lot longer without it. Open up your hood. It'll make it easier in the succeeding steps.

1) Take out the stock corners by taking out the screw between the corners and your headlamp. The stock screw is a T10 torx head screw. I would reuse this to mount the clear corners. It looks like a much stronger screw than what is supplied. Besides, you already have the torx driver out. Why do you want to go search for a Phillips?

2) You want to crawl under the truck and loosen the lights out of the sockets by rotating counter-clockwise. The little parking lamp may have to wait until you can pull the assembly away from the frame. The reason for doing all this (at least on my truck) is because DC has the wiring pulled taut and it's really hard to pull the corners away from the frame to reach behind them to disconnect the lights. Once you remove the corners you can jiggle the wiring and discover there's an extra six inches stuck behind the cowling. (It's always nice to have an extra six inches ;-))

3) There is some rubber weather-stripping that connects to the inside of each corner via two pins on the corners themselves. This is the reason the hood needs to be up.

4) Once all that's done the unit should slide right out. Take a close look at the lamps. You have two lamps (3157's). Those are the parking/turn signal lamps. Those are pretty simple to remove and replace.

5) Toward the outside of each corner are what they call marker lamps. Each corner has one. It uses a 194 bulb. As usual, when replacing bulbs, DON'T touch the bulb with your bare hands. You'll shorten its life with your finger oils. Use a towel.

6) We're going to concentrate on the marker lamps because the APC ones are a pain in the rear. If you look at the stock corners you'll notice the tabs are flush with the housing. If you look at the APC ones, you'll notice there is about a 3/16" lip around the hole with the tabs recessed in the hole. I guarantee you will not get your lamp in that hole the way it's set up. Why did APC do that. No idea! Maybe they're in cahoots with Dremel. Maybe an earlier Dak requires that, however, the label on their box indicates these corners are for 97-00 Daks. Maybe they (APC) will explain. They're getting a copy of this installation note. Ok, APC, if you're reading this, so are 900 other customers or potential customers.

7) SUGGESTION: Wear goggles and a face mask to do the next two steps. There will be fine plastic dust and smoke all over you.

8) If you have a Dremel rotary tool, now's the time to set it up. If you don't get a hacksaw or something to cut. On your Dremel set up a cutting disc. Those are the discs that can cut through steel at 30,000 rpm but if you flick it with the motor off, it'll go ka-ching and break into little pieces. Cut down that 3/16" rim down to as close to the housing as you can get. At 30,000 rpm it's going to half-cut and half-melt the plastic so be careful. At less than 30,000 rpm it won't cut or melt very well.

9) Now change to your high-speed cutter bit and take the plastic down to the tabs, NOT THROUGH THE TABS, just to the tabs. You cannot just be flush with the housing. You must be flush with the tabs in order for the marker lamp to fit. You can take a sanding disc and smooth everything up when you're done, though no one will really see the inside of your corners.

10) Put your new bulbs in. Some dealers will supply bulbs with your corners, others won't. If you need to go out and buy them, don't go to a specialty store. They are cost prohibitive. Target, K-Mart or Wal-Mart sells them for around $4.50 for two bulbs. You'll need four 3157NA's and two 194NA's. These are amber bulbs. Most states require amber. If you want to push it and see what happens, you can put your old bulbs in. Put the bulbs in the sockets and check them out BEFORE you put everything back together. Turn on your parking lights and test each turn signal.

11) Once you're satisfied that everything's working correctly, it's time to put the lamps back into the corners and re-install. The marker lamps should go in and twist clockwise to lock. The turn signal lamps have three notches and matching slots. One is bigger than the other two. That means it'll only fit one way. Don't try to muscle it! Once it's in, a clockwise twist will lock it in place.

12) To put the corners back on, there are three brackets and holders that each corner must slide into. Make sure all brackets slide into their respective holders. Install the torx screw and tighten. Make sure you put the rubber weather-stripping back on to the pins for each corner.

13) Close your hood. Stand back and look at the fine job you just did! Looks good, huh?

End of installation.

Ron 00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD For modifications see my DML Profile (URL follows) http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Kw9pV1EkFeOYY

-----Original Message----- From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net [mailto:owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net]On Behalf Of Mallett, Donald B Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 1:13 PM To: 'DML' Subject: DML: Re: Installing clear front lights????????

Never mind, I figured it out. Really simple The hard part was finding my #10 tork driver. The upgrade looks good.

As I slowly back away after asking for help on such a simple thing ;}

*------------------------------Y2KOTA------------------------------* Don Mallett Y2K QC 4.7L Auto SLT+ http://Geocities.com/maldbnsf/ http://www.dakota-truck.net/profiles/dakota/QwkvWz@DAJFf6/profile.htm *-------Every minute in your Dodge is a minute worth living.-------*